Media release 7 August 2020 | South Auckland residents are encouraged to get out and get tested for COVID-19.
The metro Auckland DHBs will be providing free COVID-19 swabbing at a pop-up surveillance testing site in Manurewa this weekend.
The drive-thru/walk-thru testing centre will be set up at the Southmall car park, entrance via Weymouth Road, Manurewa, on Saturday 8 August starting at 9am until 4pm.
The pop-up is being run by the Northern Region Health Coordination Centre (NRHCC). NRHCC Lead (and Counties Manukau Health CEO) Margie Apa says the purpose of the pop-up testing centre is to make certain there is no community transmission of COVID-19.
“It is important that as many residents as possible get tested – while the test itself is a little uncomfortable it is less than 2 seconds of discomfort but adds to our peace of mind that we are virus free as a community. We thank our communities in anticipation for your contribution,” says Margie Apa.
Testing will be offered to everyone who turns up and people don’t need to have COVID-19 symptoms to get a test. People who are tested will not need to self-isolate while waiting for their results.
Margie Apa says we all have our part to play and the small act of getting a test could make a big difference.
“People in our communities have done an incredible job and we can’t be complacent now. We need to keep testing levels up and this pop-up surveillance in Manurewa tomorrow will help achieve that.”
There continues to be free testing for COVID-19 at Auckland’s four new model community testing centres in Northcote, Henderson, Eden Terrace and Wiri.
People can also contact their GP to arrange a test or visit an Urgent Care Clinic. General practices and Urgent Care Clinics throughout Auckland continue to offer COVID-19 testing free of charge.
Anyone who does not have a GP or is unsure of where to go to get tested can find this information on the DHB websites or call Healthline for free on 0800 358 5453.
Visitor tested positive in South Korea
The surveillance testing is a continuation of the public health response across New Zealand to follow up on the movements of a 22-year-old man who tested positive for COVID-19 after travelling back to South Korea from New Zealand last month.
The Ministry of Health has identified that the traveller was in South Auckland from 20 June – 20 July. Anyone who was in Manurewa at that time is asked to get tested – whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Ends -