As of 6:30am today the fire at the Papakura Scrap Metal Yard is under control and fully contained.
There is no risk to staff, patients or visitors at our facilities.
What to do
If you, your friends or whaanau live or work in Papakura it is possible that soot or debris may have found its way into their offices and/or houses.
The Auckland Regional Public Health Service recommends:
- opening windows and doors to bring in fresh air
- cleaning the house to remove soot or dust from surfaces. We recommend wet wiping rather than sweeping
- cleaning air conditioning unit filters, air filters and ventilation systems
- washing railings, balconies and decks, and wiping outside furniture and objects with a damp cloth
- washing hard surfaces, food preparation areas and any cooking utensils that have been left out with detergent and hot water.
- cleaning filters and covers of outdoor pools or any other recreational water use sources
- checking drinking water, if sourced from the roof/ surface water
- washing home grown fruit and leafy vegetables before consuming raw
For more information
Fire and Emergency New Zealand has information on restoring your property after a fire: https://fireandemergency.nz/in-the-event-of-fire/restoring-your-property/
If you, friends or whaanua have any respiratory symptoms that are of concern contact Healthline 0800 611116 for free, 24 hour health advice or seek assistance from your primary health provider.