Sick or injured and not sure where to go? Check out this guide

Follow the journey of a young rangatahi and his father on knowing where to go when you’re sick or injured.

See your family doctor for all non-urgent health concerns. They will provide you with medical advice, prescriptions and help you to manage any long-term conditions.

If you don’t have a family doctor, (also known as your GP or General Practitioner) you can ask family and friends or you can find one on Healthpoint.


See your local pharmacy for advice on medication and minor health concerns. Your local pharmacy can provide you with advice on colds and coughs, minor health issues, as well as getting the flu vaccination.

To find a pharmacy nearest you that does the flu vaccine, please visit the South Auckland and East Auckland pharmacy pages on Healthpoint.


Call 0800 611 116 for health advice from a nurse. Healthline is staffed by registered nurses 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

If English isn’t your first language, there are interpreters who can help.

More information about Healthline is available here.

Urgent Care Clinics

If you or your family are unwell at night, during the weekend, or on a public holiday, call your family doctor first. They will be able to advise or direct you to the nearest Urgent Care clinic.

Free or low-cost urgent care is available to the following people in our community at these clinics:

  • children under 14 years old
  • adults over 65 years old
  • Community Service Card holders
  • High User Health card holders

Hospital Emergency

If it's an emergency, call 111.

The Middlemore Hospital Emergency Department is there to treat people whose injuries or conditions threaten life or limb.

Helpful Tips

Help! I’m feeling sick, where do I go?

Your family doctor plays an important role in keeping your family healthy. Call your doctor for health advice and to make an appointment.

What if I don’t have a family doctor?

You can find a family doctor (and see their prices) at Healthpoint.

I can’t get to the doctors, what should I do?

Contact your family doctor or call Healthline on 0800 611 116 to speak to a nurse. It’s free and available 24/7. If English isn’t your first language, there are interpreters who can help.

I can’t make it to the doctors during clinic hours, where should I go?

Your local Urgent Care clinic is open when your doctor is closed and you need urgent care. You can view the subsidised clinics in your area here.

When should I go to the hospital?

If it’s a life-threatening emergency, call 111. The Middlemore Hospital Emergency Department is for life-threatening conditions.

Unsure where to go?

Call Healthline for health advice from a nurse - 0800 611 116.

Emergency Q

You can also download the Emergency Q app which has been designed to help users find what services are open, how long you may have to wait and, where appropriate, how much it may cost.

The app, which you can download from the app store or here, is free to use and will help you and your whaanau get the right care from the right place at the right time.

Posted in Latest news;

Less than a minute to read Communications Team

Last modified: