I write in response to your Official Information Act request, received by us on 23 April 2019. You requested the following information:
Can you please provide data about the use of restraints in the Counties Manukau DHB for both Emergency and Mental Health services, and identify the service associated with this data?
1. In particular, can you provide Minutes of meetings, or other Documents produced by the Restraint Minimisation and Safe Practice Group from 2008 through 2018, that provide trends of the use of mechanical and physical restraints?
•E.g. the audits mentioned in your document “Procedure: RM & SP for Restraint and Enabler Use” provided to the Health Sector Users Network on 5 February 2018.
2. In addition, can you provide information during the calendar year 2008, and during the calendar year 2018, on the use of personal, and physical/ mechanical restraints in the CMDHB?
• By physical/ mechanical restraints, I mean using appliances such as straps, ties or handcuffs to immobilise patients and by personal restraints, I mean use of body contact for the purpose of immobilisation.
• This data should be kept in a Restraint Register, or in the Incident Reporting Service.
• This data for 2008 and 2018 should specify the type of restraint used (e.g., wrist strap) and the length of time between start and finish of each individual mechanical/ physical restraint.
Our response is attached