I write in response to your Official Information Act request, received by us on 02 July 2019. You noted the following points, and requested information on neonatal unit capacity:
I’ve decided to look at the wider situation around the country, so am contacting DHBs that cover NZ’sm biggest cities, to ask how often this is happening. I’m not asking about where babies are transferred between other DHBs in Auckland, but when they are transferred out-of-town.
Could the figures please be for the past three years?
1. How often have expectant mothers and/or new-born babies been transferred from Counties Manukau to DHBs outside the Auckland area?
2. Why were they transferred? (e.g. because neonatal ward was at capacity, or because DHB does not ordinarily have the facilities needed in a particular case).
3. Where were they transferred to?
4. Were any transferred to Australia?
5. Can you please tell me the occupancy rates for your neonatal wards over the past three years?
Our response is attached