This training has been specifically designed to assist Registered Nurses working in aged residential care (ARC) facilities to manage patients with long-term intravenous access devices (Midline / PICC) who require an extended length of intravenous antimicrobial therapy in the comfort of their own facility.
On completion of the online training and practical workshop the RN will be able to:
- Discuss OPAT programme
- Explain what a Midline / PICC is
- Discuss and demonstrate safe nursing management of a patient with a Midline / PICC
- Explain potential complications associated with Midlines / PICCs and management
- Describe the follow up and support provided by OPAT
- Demonstrate antimicrobial administration options
- Demonstrate Midline / PICC dressing and injection port change
- Clinical Teaching and Education Centre (CTEC)
- Level 1 Building 7 (Poutasi Link) Middlemore Hospital
- 100 Hospital Road, Otahuhu, Auckland
- Directions and parking information
- Date: Refer to Trybooking website for availability (see registration process below for links)
- Time: Refer to Trybooking website for availability (see registration process below for links)
Professional Development Hours and Certification
- Ko Awatea Learn online module: 1 hour (digital certificate accessible)
- Clinical Skills Demonstration & Practice Session: 3 hours (certificate available upon request)
Refer to Trybooking.com/nz website (see registration process below for links)
Registration / Training process
OPAT Patient Management for ARC: https://www.trybooking.co.nz/MBP
Confirmation will be emailed once your application has been accepted.
- Register for Ko Awatea LEARN Account.
Instructions on how to access Ko Awatea LEARN will be sent to your email after successful completion of online booking.
- Complete Ko Awatea LEARN online Module
Click here to access Ko Awatea LEARN online module & search “OPAT Patient Management for Aged Residential Care”.
- Attend Clinical Skills Demonstration Day
Venue: CTEC, Middlemore Hospital (Level 1 Building 7/Poutasi Link)
This is facilitated by the OPAT Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS).
- Undergo Supervised Clinical Practice
It is the responsibility of your workplace to provide clinical supervision.
- Competency Assessment / Sign off
Your workplace is responsible for assessing competency (if applicable).