Read about maternity outpatients, pregnancy/antenatal education classes and other services available to pregnant woment in the Counties Manukau region.
Pregnancy or Antenatal Classes
There are different types of classes available in Counties Manukau. Please contact the provider of your choice for more information about what they can offer you. Also speak with your LMC as they can guide you toward making the decision that’s right for you.
Public Funded (Free) sessions available:
- Turuki Healthcare offer a different, more culturally informed option to traditional antenatal class (one-day antenatal wananga held several times each year). Click here to book. Sessions are held at Papakura Marae, Mangere, Pukekohe and Manurewa. Phone: 09 275 5788 or 0800 427 892
- Southseas Healthcare offers Tapuaki pregnancy education courses for pacific women. Sessions are held in Otara, Mangere and Manurewa. Click here to book. Phone: 09 273 9017 or text 027 550 9719
- Plunket PEPE courses on early parenting Counties.PEPE@plunket.org.nz Phone: 021 717 924 or 0800 184 803
- Taonga Education Centre provides antenatal services, social services and mothers accommodation for teen parents expecting their first baby. Sessions are 2 x 5 hours over two days in Manurewa, Otara and Papakura. Morning tea and lunch provided as well as transport if needed. Click here for more information and referral form. Phone: 09 269 2861 or 0508 taonga (826 642).
- Teen Parent Unit (TPU) offers a positive and supportive learning environment where academic achievement is a priority. Students have access to on-site social workers, support workers and health carers. Click here for referral form. Phone: 09 269 2861 or 0508 taonga (826 642).
Not Public funded (cost for courses):
- Birthbalance childbirth and parenting courses. Click here for course dates. Phone: 021 353 313
- Parents Centre offers variety of programmes throughout the year.
- Manukau - The Gardens School | Phone: 09 267 1224
- Papakura | Chapel Street, Papakura. Phone: 09 297 7461
- Franklin | Phone: 09 283 8513
- East Auckland | Phone: 09 537 0560
Mama and Pepi Services
The key focus is the health of Mama and Pepi (mothers and babies). Service is provided by Maori health workers who have recognised skills or experience in the maternity or childcare areas and who have strong links with the Maori community. Contacts are:
How to get a baby car seat?
Plunket Car Seat Service can help make sure your child is in a booster seat that's right for them. Our technicians can help with installation and offer advice on how too get your 5 or 6 year old back into a booster, so every journey is a safe one.
Rent or buy a booster seat from a Plunket Car Seat Service near you.